Monday, July 13, 2009

And now we know...

Ok, see the previous post about the Gypsy? I just heard from my super secret insider source at Provocraft and this is what they have to say about all the controversy over this little jewel.

I wanted to give you a heads up... Many have speculated that using a cartridge with Gypsy will wipe the content from the Cricut Cartridge. This is not the case. People that buy Gypsy will be able to use any of their cartridges with their Gypsy OR any Cricut machine. More details on exactly how the Gypsy works will be released in the near future but I wanted to be sure you knew that the cartridges are not erased.


And then from another PC employee:

Here is how it will work. A user will "ingest" the cartridges that they own into their Gypsy device. THIS DOES NOT "WIPE OUT OR CLEAR" their cartridges, however, users cannot share cartridges on multiple Gypsy devices. Once a cart is ingested into a device, it is forever tied to that device. Consumers should keep their cartridges as back up. The MSRP is $299. It will be released in the fall/winter.





Features of the Gypsy

Size – 8” x 3” x 1.5”
Weight – 11 ounces
Screen Size – 4.7”, 16:9, 480 x 272
Stylus Length – 3.75”
Storage – ~4000 Cartridges, 10000+ Designs
Battery Life – 4 hrs cont. 18 hrs int.
Compatible with Cricut Machines and Cartridges
2 Full content cartridges preloaded
Benefits of the Gypsy

No computer required
Design functionality on-the-go with no PC
Interfaces with CDS when connected to a PC
Stores content, overlays, and manuals
Stores design projects

17 comments:

  1. It's not what I thought it was going to be... I am kind of disappointed, I was hoping for a better DS...even though I don't understand the one I have. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very glad to hear that it will not erase our cartridges. Thanks for your research. Do I understand correctly that it will work even if you don't have DS and will be able to weld things together? Thanks. Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's funny...your super secret source said to you exactly word for word the same thing that their PR rep said to me via email a few minutes ago.

    At least they are getting their stories straight around there now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds a bit expensive to me, especially by the time it is shipped to Australia, don't think I will be bothering with this one.

    Cheers for the info

    Kaye x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone know if it will have the upgrades that we want CDS to have? Or will it only do what CDS does now?
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay but suppose your Gypsy breaks, gets lost or is stolen. Does that mean if you buy a new one, you can't upload your cartridges to it? I am still not 100% convinced...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh ya and the price is ridiculous...I didn't even pay that much for my Expression...

    Pass that on to your source so they can let the higher ups know that the price is probably more than most of us will be willing to spend considering the expression (or the baby bug) and either DS or the jukebox combined is less than this machine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Still considerably overpriced. Hope Provocraft is reading this. I wont buy it til it drops closer to half price. And then even would be steep.

    ReplyDelete
  9. considerably overpriced and not really a necessity. kind of explains why provocraft have not sorted DS.. woking on this little goldmine. however, guess you and a few others that got the recent carts given to you will get yours for free to "sell" us the benefits , right?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angela, I wish but doubt it. ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW!!!!
    Way to EXPENSIVE. Bummer! :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, thanks for telling us! :)
    As for what Angela said, not everyone is upset (or jealous) that you & a few others got the new cartridges to test out. For all the things you do to keep us updated on the new scrapbooking gadgets & other things, I think you deserve to be awarded every once in a while! It's not like you have to spend your time updating this blog so we all hear the new news, but you do, so thanks again & enjoy your new cartridges, Linda! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really DO expect you to get one for free as you do help to "sell" the products to a wide base (although you do not unfortunately get the commission)! I haven't heard that anyone is upset or jealous about the new cart freebies - Claire, sorry to have come across that way - probably my unfortunate choice of words. Angela.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks Claire, you are very sweet. Very very very rarely have I received anything from a vendor for free so I was as shocked as everyone else when we got the boxes from PC. It was a nice jester and I tried to give the positives on the contents but as you can see from the post past that that I didn't sell out. Also as far as the box goes, I kept 3 of the cartridges but gave away everything else at my Design Studio classes...all of it! So it wasn't only me that benefited. Again thank you for your sweet words. ~Linda

    ReplyDelete
  15. It may not wipe out the cartridge, but it I can't share them with my girlz, then what's the point in that? Plus, with the price, I'd just snag one of those cute net books and install design studio on it. Same price, TONS more functions!

    I'd say seriously disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am still not exactly sure of the benefits of this - I feel kind of like Tom Hanks in the movie 'Big' when he asks, "What is fun about this?" to the latest toy introduced.

    Maybe I will get it later.

    And, for ALL the great info you share with us you deserve ANYTHING manufacturers give you. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  17. it sounds great but now i have 3 jukeboxs and DS wish they had let people know before we bought all this other stuff. i thought we were getting a newer DS that has select all etc and what about all the cut files we already have on our computer
    AnnW

    ReplyDelete