Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Scrapper's Toolbox: A Twist on the "Die"

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Here's a little something I'm sure you've all seen before: the “Three-Heart Shamrock.”  It's a classic, and certainly has been done before... maybe over done. My twist on the “Three-Heart Shamrock” uses the same basic elements, but with a little dimension added. The short and sweet version is that I used a nesting heart die-cut set (Framelets Hearts by Sizzix) and cut 3 small hearts out of my green textured card stock... and threw them into the scrap bin. Then, the next larger size was set over the heart-shaped hole in the card stock, off-center, so that the bottom points of the hearts were about 1/8” apart. Crank, crank, crank, the Big Shot (yes, I'm a little “old school” on my die cutting methods) and voila! A hollow heart.  To get the dimensional pop, I snipped through the point and criss-crossed the “legs” of the heart and used a glue dot to secure them about 1/2” up from each point. Trim off the excess. Lastly I attached a Stampin' Dimensional to a 1/2” punched circle and stuck all 3 heart points to the dimensional, nice an snug, sandwiched another Stampin' Dimensional on top to secure them together, and added a little white heart-shape from the same nesting set on top to bring it all together. Ta-da! A refurbished classic.  




For more great tips and crafting goodness, visits Kristine's blog at www.creativeflare.stampinup.net

Thank you for stopping by and Happy Scrapping,

Kristine Matthews and the DT at Just A Scrappin' 

2 comments: