Monday, April 9, 2012

The Design Team's Craft Rooms

Just A Scrappin' readers you are in for a treat. For the next few weeks we will explore the craft rooms of the design team. Whether you are scrapping on the kitchen table or have your own dream craft room, each of these ladies will show you how to get the most from your space. So sit back, relax and enjoy.


Brenda: The Rebirth of a Craft Room

When we bought our house almost 20 years ago, the room off the living room became my sewing room.  That evolved into a sewing/quilting/stamping/scrapbook room, and I loved having a space that was mine and where I could leave my projects out without having a mess in the rest of the house.

Now, we live in SW Ohio, so hurricanes have NEVER been an issue.....until Hurricane Ike in September 2008.  The remnants of that hurricane created a windstorm that went through our area like nothing we've ever seen.  A huge, 80 year old oak tree in our front yard was completely uprooted and crashed through the house, destroying the roof, attic, the master bedroom upstairs and completely demolishing my workroom, and damaging other areas of the house.   It took almost five months (thanks goodness for good home owners insurance!) to get our house put back together. 

In rebuilding my craft room, we got a lot of storage items from Ikea.  The cabinets and work tables for my sewing machine, serger, and computer desk are all from Ikea, as is the large Expedit unit where I keep all my photos, paper, cardstock and embellishments.  I use the Cropper Hopper vertical paper files to store my cardstock and paper.  I had to trim about 1/4" from the top to get them to fit inside the Expedite cubbies, so now they are a perfect fit.

My favorite part of the room is the work table and the cabinets above it.  These are actually kitchen cabinets that DH bought at a home improvement outlet store.  He mounted pegboard on the wall above the work table so my most-used tools hang there, easily within reach.  I have a large cutting mat (designed for quilters) on the table, so I don't have to worry about hurting the surface of the table when I'm cutting paper or fabric.

Thanks for Visiting,











12 comments:

  1. Beautiful room! Two years ago tomorrow, we had a pipe break under our kitchen sink while we were out. A significant amount of damage occurred in our kitchen, dining area, as well as to finished basement room directly beneath those rooms. During reconstruction, I got a new scraproom. It sure was fun to plan it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! So glad that no one was hurt in the hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW what a beautiful room, so tidy and organised. I'm working on my craft cabin at the moment. Pleased to see you have got sorted.
    Hugs
    Fi xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. How scary. Glad you were able to repair/rebuild. Your room looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow the worst turned into something wonderful. Love your room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow scary how that tree just collapsed onto your home.... I sure hope you don't ever have to experience that again... but i must say that your workspace is gorgeous! I love the huge workspace with the pegboard above it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember hurrican Ike live in Beavercreek, OH some were without power for 10 days and the destruction was amazing. Love your room. I got some ideas.
    Ann Gross

    ReplyDelete
  8. The rainbow at the end of the storm! Thanks for sharing your space with us

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering what the dimensions of your room are?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really like that 25 space cubbie, where did you find that at? It looks like one whole piece? (As apposed to those individual cubes you can stack) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That cubbie is from Ikea. It's their large Expedit unit.

      Delete