Monday, July 9, 2012

DT Member Spotlight--Meet Joann

Good Morning Fellow Crafters!

The month of June was a busy time for Just A Scrappin' and July is shaping up to be a busy, crafty month as well. With a bigger design team (25 designers), weekly challenges, and a blog hop, we are ready to bring on the crafting magic. 

To get the ball rolling, Just A Scrappin' will introduce a new member of the team every week! So sit back, relax and take a moment to appreciate the talent each of these ladies bring to the Just A Scrappin Design Team. You will be glad you did!

Meet Joann...

1. How long have you been paper crafting and how did you get your start?

I have been paper crafting for about ten years now. I first got started with scrapbooking when I was introduced to a Creative Memories party. I was hooked from there!

2. What is your design style (vintage, structured…)?

I am always asked this question and each time I am asked, it always makes me think because I really don’t see myself as having any one certain “style”. I create all types of work that encompasses a variety of design and styles. I guess I’m a “Jill” of all trades. Lol.

3. Looking at some of your work, I see you utilize markers and stamping. What type of makers do you use? Can you share some techniques/tips for those individuals interested in broadening their horizons and introducing makers into their paper crafting?

 I love stamping! There are so many ways to enhance your projects using stamps. I’ve learned over the past 3 years to work with prismacolor pencils and gamsol, copic sketch markers, perfect pearls mediums and alcohol inks. My favorite marker to use with my stamps are my copic sketch markers. I Love them!!!  A great tip to enhance the look of your stamps to make them look more realistic is to use shadowing and blending. You can achieve this look by using blending tools such as copic sketch markers or prismacolor pencils using gamsol. There are endless possibilities of what you can do with these tools and if you have never used them, I recommend purchasing a very small amount to get started and just sit down and play with them. I get my copic sketch markers for under $5.50 at http://www.carpediemstore.com/index.asp and they are even cheaper when they have their sales. 

4. I see you like using sketches; however, you put a twist on each sketch, what is your thought process?

When I use sketches, I try to put my own feel to it. I will look at a sketch and the first thing I eye up is the layout and from there I decide which way I want that layout to look on my card or scrapbook page. I will rotate the sketch until I get the look I’m going for.  Sometimes I will use different objects in place of others to fit my theme. For example; if the sketch calls for 3 flowers, I may substitute the 3 flowers for 3 stars or any other object that will go well with the theme of what I am working on. Always try to make a sketch your own, but without completely taking away from the original sketch.  To me, it shows character, individuality and creativity. Whenever a person thinks “outside the box” it shows their true creative side and beautiful works of art come to life.

5. What is the one tool in your craft space that you cannot live without? Why?

The one tool in my craft space that I cannot live without is my ATG gun. I use my ATG gun for almost every project I make. It is very cost effective and my dollar goes a long way with the tape refills.  Everyone loves a good product but when you can save money too, it’s definitely a must have!




To see more of Joann's fabulous work, visit her blog at www.jwscrapshack.blogspot.com.

Join us next week as we continue introducing the Just A Scrappin' Design Team.

Happy Scrappin',

Just A Scrappin' DT




3 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your crafting perspective with your fellow crafters. Is is always nice to see how others approach the creative process =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you Joann, ;) always love reading about how other fellow scrapers got into it"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job on your projects! Congratulations for being selected on this design team. Cannot wait to see more of your work!

    ReplyDelete