Monday, July 30, 2012

DT Member Spotlight--Vean



Happy Monday fellow crafters!

I want to write a huge Thank You to Bridget for allowing us into her crafting world. This week we are spotlighting DT member Vean and what inspires her to create. Sit back, relax and enjoy the interview.

Meet Vean...

1. How long have you been crafting for and how did you get your start?

I have been crafting for only over a year. Well actually, I've loved anything crafty all my life, but I started out doing soaps until I was pregnant and had to stop. Pinterest is what rekindle my interest in the crafting world. I was inspired to make hair bows and flowers for two of my girls.

2. How did you come up with the name for your blog?

Kaylee is my oldest daughter and Vydia is my youngest so I combined the two of my daughters' names for KayVycrafts.

3. You describe your style as vintage, shabby chic; what does this mean to you? And how do you apply this look to your crafting style?

I'm more drawn toward the vintage and shabby chic look of things. Even in the clothing I wear I noticed I like more of the cream/pinks and light colors. I love to incorporate this palette into my work. Honestly, I don't do well dealing with bright and bold colors so most of my work is very light and draws upon the usage of pastel colors. I was born and raised in VN, so I have seen a lot of vintage stuff  since we are probably latest in updating styles with the rest of the world. Growing up, I remember all the vintage finds and treasures; having a vintage-style helps me hold on to those precious memories. 

4. You mention you enjoy making your own embellishments; what is your favorite embellishment to make? Can you provide us with a step-by-step on how to make your favorite embellishment?

Oh, there are so many that I can't even think of them all right now. They're all different and so hard to choose just one. From flowers, to flower centers, clay charms, knitted flowers, or fabric trims and more. I think my favorite to make is the fabric trims, but I don't make them as much as I should. Typically, I hand-sew the trim by running a stitch down the middle of a strip of fabric and add some pearls on top and voila, you've got a nice trim to add to your work. The reason I like making my own trim is because I can make matching flowers. The possibilities are endless when it comes to DIY embellishments. I think that's what makes all my crafting so fun and so much to do. 


Interested in seeing Vean's vintage style? Visit Vean's blog at www.kayvycrafts.blogspot.com.

Thank you stopping by.

Happy Scrapping,

The Just A Scrappin' DT





1 comment:

  1. It was so nice to hear about your passions. I love the cup! It brought back memories as a child at church; they had us take a tea cut and matching saucer. They glued the cup to the saucer and we put a face with googly eyes and then decorated them with sewing trim and notions. My mother kept that project till I was about 40 When she finally decided to get rid of all the clutter and simplify her life. The card you created is adorable. I love it. It was nice getting to know you.
    Marye Bird
    passionatlycrafty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete