Monday, August 6, 2012

DT Member Spotlight--Kim

Good morning fellow scrappers and crafters,

Happy Monday! I wanted to extended a huge Thank You to Vean for giving us a glimpse into the world of vintage crafting. Vean's projects were delightful. 

This week we will be looking at fellow scrapper and crafter, Kim. Sit back, relax and enjoy the interview. 

Meet Kim...

1. How long have you been crafting and how did you get your start?


As long as I can remember, I’ve enjoyed writing, crafting, sewing and painting. Three years ago, I made holiday cards for my friends and family. They all encouraged me to take it a step further and turn it into a business. My youngest son created my website and off it went. I now have customers all over the US and locally plus you can by my cards at one of the stores right here in my city. I live, eat and breathe crafting.

2. What inspires you to create your cards and projects? 

Everything around me gives me inspiration. I may be out for my morning walk and come across a family of bunnies or look out over the horizon and see the colors it’s offering me that morning. Oh, plus I watch a lot of youtube, attend weekly crops, subscribe to many magazines, attend Expos and view all the amazing creations Just A Scrappin' Design Team makes.

3. A post from your blog states you are currently selling your cards. Congratulations. Do you have any advice/tips on how other crafters can turn their passion into extra cash? 

Wow, that’s a tough one. The challenge is that we are all facing financial constraints these days so the crafts that we make are considered a “want” and not a need. Plus, with technology many people find it more convenient to email a note or card. My advice is to get your product out there. Attend boutiques, have a Facebook Page, sell on Etsy.com, and give the cards you make to everyone that you come across like the mail carrier, a neighbor, the grocery clerk that’s always so nice to you, etc. It’s free advertising. Last, go onto vistaprint.com and order business cards. You can get 250 for $10.00. Every chance you get, give someone your card. That’s how I got a $150 order to create graduation invitations from the pharmacist. I’ll be teaching a card making class in September where the students pay $15, learn how to make a card and get a package of goodies. Lastly, don’t give up.

4. What are your go to crafting items that you cannot craft without (excluding adhesive)?

My Cricut, my Sizzix embosser and my Big Shot die cut/embosser are the three things I use ALL the time. I’m saving up for a Silouette.









To see more of Kim's work visit her blog at, www.cardcreationsbykim.blogspot.com.

Thank you for stopping by. Join us next week when we meet another DT member.

Happy Scrapping,

The Just A Scrappin' DT

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    My biggest challenge is what to charge. On my cards I stamp the back with Created by Kim and underneath my email address. I am doing my first craft fair in December. Wish me luck.

    ReplyDelete